Sunday, June 28, 2009

Girls camp and chickens

I am trying to figure out all this blogging stuff, so for a while this will probably be boring. Once I get comfortable with posting, I try doing other things. Just got back last Friday from a week of girls camp. It was probably one of the best girls camp I have ever been to, almost relaxing. The girls were good and the leaders all got along great! That is always nice. Well when I drove up to my house everything was quiet and no one was around. As I was walking into the house I noticed broken eggs on the lawn, I went into the house and all the adults were taking naps when I asked where everyone was they said that some of the children were up stairs playing a game and some out back. I went out just in time to see kids in the chicken coop. As most of you know, it was exactly this time last year that a darling grandchild let the dogs into the coop and they had a great time, the end result, two happy dogs, 15 dead chickens and 1 survivor. We now have 16 hens and 1 rooster. As I walked out I noticed more broken eggs on the patio. I went to the coop and ushered children out and went in to inspect. Some one had forgot to collect eggs and I had about 15- 18 eggs all smashed in the coop with hens covered with yolk, so we got out the hose and sprayed everything down. Grandchildren you got to love them (and I do!) Oh, and the pad lock is on the gate.

8 comments:

Carrie Stuart said...

Hi Toni! Oh, I could just picture the scene. At least it was just grandkids and and a few eggs, and not your precious hens like last year! We miss you guys so much and speak of you often. Please tell Michael hello from the kids. They miss him so. Hope to see you again someday soon!

Carrie

NĂ©na said...

Sorry Mom, I was the one that forgot to collect the eggs...you can blame me...

Aimee said...

Did you ground the adults?

Anonymous said...

Tell your grandchildren and all the adults in your house how blessed they are to have you for a wife, mom and grandma. They could've had me! I DO NOT have your grace and patience.

Anonymous said...

P.S.
I'm so glad your hens survived.

Elizabeth said...

Hi Toni
Shannon showed me your blogspot.
Hopefully I can keep in better touch with you.
Grandchildren and chickens - what a combination. We have 12 chickens of our own, 16 grandchildren with 5 more on the way. Jared has about 4 dozen 1 month old chickens and turkeys growing in our garage. They are getting out of control!! Something has to be done! Good to connect up with you...Liz

Sydney said...

Welcome back to the blogospher Toni. We missed you!!!!!
Somehow my mind immediately flashed back to when Carly was a newborn. I took you (and baby Carly) to the mall to relax and get out of the house. Stephen was left with the boys and Amanda. As we pulled up your vacuum cleaner was in various parts of the front yard; children running wild and Stephen (papa) happily working unaware in the garage. I still laugh when I think of it. Understandably you didn't laugh too much then but you were still rather gracious. Glad to know history really does repeat itself, just in chicken form :-)

Jennifer said...

Sounds like everyone is having a lot fun.